Download (direct link):
• Can projects be made confidential? If yes, can certain fields of data be made public to users (i.e., is security access defined down to individual data elements)?
• Can projects or activities be set up as recurring (i.e., they do not have a defined timeline, but still need to be prioritized for resource scheduling purposes)?
• Does the solution support the creation of a project, asset, or other investment without reliance on an external project of asset management system?
• Does the solution support investment classification by unlimited user-defined attributes?
• Does the solution support investment life cycle management (e.g., requested, approved, active, implemented, maintained, canceled)?
• Can the package support multiple contributors to metrics to see who contributed what?
• Can the application keep history/version of changes to metrics?
• Can the application assign modified permissions to categories of metrics to different users?
• What arbitration features are available when multiple providers have different opinions on metrics?
SOFTWARE PROVIDER EVALUATION CRITERIA 311
• Can variables be created and assigned to metrics instead of a discrete value?
• Can metrics or final scores be overridden manually to accommodate qualitative input?
• Can rules/flags be set that will lower or raise priority?
• Can projects be linked where dependencies exist (i.e., if a high-priority project is dependent on a low-priority project, the low-priority project will be reevaluated)?
• Can project scores be normalized based on project life cycle phases (i.e., an early stage idea will consistently score lower due to higher uncertainty than fully mature ideas)?
• Does the software enable the user to select the highest value or most critical investments based on any number of company-identified constraints?
• Does the software enable the user to set specific portfolio goals that are consistently retained for multidimensional analysis during portfolio analysis?
• Does the software enable the user to utilize multiple methods of gap analysis to determine the balance of investments within the portfolio and how well they align with goals?
• Does the software enable what-if analysis and modeling to show the outcome of changes in assumptions before funding decisions are made?
• Can users control what investment items (e.g., candidate, active, on-hold, closed) they want to aid in the selection of the portfolio?
• Does the software enable the user to drill down on any investment or investment candidate to get more detail?
• Does the software enable developing a project plan with a detailed work breakdown structure and resource allocations that tie back to a resource capacity system?
• Does the software track operating and capital expenditures over the life of initiatives?
• Does the solution support top-down estimating of time-phased resource requirements by skill set (i.e., using full-time employees or hours)?
• Does the solution enable setting multiple targets (e.g., conservative, default, stretch), capturing multiple baselines, and capturing multiple plans?
• Does the system support a flexible multi-level sort to rank and prioritize investments?
• Does the system show the resource load by investment (e.g., over-/under-loaded charts and reports)?
312 CHAPTER 6 ASSESSMENT METHODOLOGY
• Can the software manage risk/reward trade-offs?
• Does an efficient frontier-based model exist that demonstrates tuning variables and constraints and impact to the portfolio?
• Does the software enable users to review the performance of multiple investments and cross-correlate the data? Does the software spot potential correlations and covariances among investments?
• Does the software track and measure the dependencies, constraints, and support for each investment in the portfolio?
• Can users select subjective ratings and specify criteria functions and analytics?
• Can users set up their own critical success factors, key performance categories and indicators as well as their own scorecards, investment maps, forms, dashboards, and so forth?
• Can users override the default calculations to handle unique situations?
• Can users toggle among portfolios that address different domains like applications, systems, projects, vendors, and customers?
• Can users toggle among key performance categories for color and size on a bubble chart?
• Does the software enable the user to automatically send an e-mail message to the manager of the investment plan when it is not performing according to plan?
• Does the software enable users to make changes to the portfolio and communicate the impact of these changes via e-mail to the other decision makers?
• Are the life cycles of projects customizable (i.e., do they consist of multiple stages or phases that are customizable)?